Friday 4 May 2012

Middle Eastern-y Kind of Night

My sister gave me a box of couscous when we went home last March.  I have tried couscous before but this is my first time to cook it.  As what I can remember, it was served with fish souvlaki.  So I guess I'd have to pair my couscous with something mediterranean-y or similar to a middle eastern dish. I opted for the latter because I thought souvlaki would mean I have to prepare tons of things. But I was wrong, souvlaki simply means "consisting of small pieces of meat and sometimes vegetables grilled on a skewer". *Sheesh*

The couscous was pre-cooked so it only took me a few minutes to prepare it.  Instead of water, I used homemade chicken stock. :)

I prepared our meal by seasoning the chicken and shrimps with lemon, oregano, parsley, salt and pepper. Of course, olive oil to grease it up while being grilled.  I added cocktail tomatoes because I felt it would add color to my plate. Hihi

cocktail tomatoes
couscous
home made chicken stock




What you need:
250 grams couscous, cooked as instructed
2 skinless chicken breast fillet
200 grams medium size shrimps, peeled and deveined, leave the tail part
300 grams cocktail tomatoes, washed
salt
pepper
2 tbsp lemon juice
oregano
parsley
4 tbsp olive oil

1. Marinate the chicken and shrimp in separate bowls. Use 1 tbsp lemon juice, 2 tbsp olive oil and generous amount of salt, pepper, oregano and parsley for each kind of meat. Marinate for at least 2 hours. Season the tomatoes with salt, pepper and olive oil.
2. Prepare the grill. Grill the chicken for about 5 minutes on each side. The shrimps would be done in 3-4 minutes on each side. The tomatoes would be cooked for about 5-6 minutes.
3. Serve the couscous with the shrimps, chicken and tomatoes. Enjoy!

Serves 2-3 persons





13 comments:

  1. dits looks like another yummy dish. makes me want to go to Hosseins tuloy this weekend. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe it's simple and yummy, dits! and Hossein has one of the tastiest kebab i've had!

      Delete
  2. I haven't tried couscous before ! :P Just like pasta ? hmmmm Yummy dish , Tin ! Did Miss Dree like it ?! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. mahirap iprepare sis? first time ko nakita yang couscous sa Junior MasterChef. tinakam ako dito. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. madali lang siya lutuin kasi pre cooked yung couscous hihi

      Delete
  4. It looks delicious. I love grilled tomatoes. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i was not a fan of these veggies before but i'm slowly liking tomatoes now :D

      Delete
  5. Yum yum. I love looking at those tomatoes being grilled.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love mediterranean dishes! Nice choice of herbs: lemon juice, olive oil, oregano, parsley! reminds me of the Fish Souvlaki I had @ Marcia Adams Tuscany
    http://carmiscaprice.blogspot.com/2012/01/marcia-adams-tuscany-tagaytay.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went there last year, it was sooo nice! and yes, the fish souvlaki was my pegged recipe for my dish :)

      Delete