Sunday 29 January 2012

Saving the Coconut Meat

Last Wednesday, I bought my daughter coconut because I know she would like to drink the juice. The coconut being sold here is from Thailand. Almost everything here is imported because they don't have extra space for agriculture and factories. There are good and bad sides to it. :)

Anyway, after the tot finished the juice, I asked the nanny to break out the coconut shell so I can eat the meat. But unfortunately, it was too tough for my liking. So I thought of saving it by making it into macaroons! Yeeehaaa! It's been a loooong while since I've had coconut macaroons.  And it was my first time to try to make one today. :)

Guide: http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/First-Place-Coconut-Macaroons

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups flaked coconut/desiccated coconut
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 5 tbsp flour
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla
All lined up
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Prepare pans by greasing them or line with cookie sheets.
  2. In a bowl, combine coconut meat, sugar and salt. Set aside.
  3. Whisk eggs and vanilla in a separate bowl. Slowly add the flour. Fold in the coconut mixture.
  4. Mold into round teaspoonful onto the greased baking pans. Bake for about 20 minutes or until they turn brown. Cool on a wire rack.
Golden brown macaroons

Yields: 20 pieces.

3 comments: